Do you catch yourself saying, "I don't know what
Well, Drum Bum has solved that problem for you. - Enjoy!
- concentrate on "listening" to music and drums, not just
- Method Books
- Take advantage of hundreds of drum
method books on the market.
- Drum Rudiments
- Rudiments are the foundation of drumming. Do you know all 40?
- Practice playing and making the groove feel as good as possible
on the drums.
- Practice versatility... rock, blues, funk, country, jazz, latin,
swing, reggae, etc.
- Stick control
- One of the most important aspects of drumming. Reference the George
Lawrence Stone books and other media that revolves around stick control
- Practice drums with reading books. Learn how to read drum charts
- Playing soft to loud on drums. Appreciate the importance of dynamics
- Tuning Drums
- Tuning drums can be challenging but with practice the reward is
- Playing with
a click or metronome.
Also practice playing behind or ahead of the beat.
- Song form
Understand song form in music. Examples are AABA, ABA, etc
- Soloing -
Not every drummer knows how to play an effective drum solo. Do you?
- Playing over
the bar line -
This is an effective practice that can really jazz up the song.
- Odd Time
- You will be called upon to play odd time on the drums. Are you ready?
- Finger Control
- Finger control should come "after" basic hand technique.
It's very effective.
- Moeller Technique
- Study and practice the Moeller method to develop better technique.
- This will help you with your overall reading and comprehension.
- Two handed
riding on cymbals. A great little technique that will spice up your
- Linear patterns
- Study linear patterns on drums as they relate to the groove and
- Left hand
lead - An effective practice method that helps with drum independence.
- Double Bass
Drum - Round out your drumming with double
bass drum techniques.
- Fast tempos
- Sometimes the song tempos will be fast on the drums. Don't get left
(familiarize yourself w/the latest midi equipment)
videos - Their are tons of drum
books and drum
dvds on the market.
- Studio techniques
- Study mic placement, tuning, and recording studio etiquette.
- Odd groupings
- Know your odd times. Get comfortable with 3, 5, 7 and 9.
- Advanced polyrhythms can propel you into a more creative world.
- Beat displacement
and/or Metric Modulation will greatly enhance your drumming style.
- Practice funk shuffles, rock shuffles, 2 hand shuffles, and more
on the drums.
- It is in fact about "performance". Learn about stick
twirling and more.
your drums in front of a mirror is a very effective method
yourself and listening back. This is a big one! Don't underestimate
your "own" patterns and ideas. Some drummers are simply
not creative enough.
and Diminution - This practice will help spark new ideas in drumming.
are a figure repeated three times evenly in a phrase. Enhance your
- Filling around
strengthens your ability to adapt to more complex tunes.
extremely slow tempos
is "very" important. Many drummers overlook this.
around the set. Practice repetitively and watch your progress.
around the set. Do this over and again and reap the benefits.
- Motion exercises
- A very effective practicing method to get around drumset effortlessly.
- Left hand
and foot isolation - Another very effective practicing method
for specific limbs.
- Drum physiology
- It is "extremely" important not to overlook this.
- Read drum
internet newsgroups, and/or drum
forums for inspiration
for snare drum - Expand your horizons and get comfortable with brush
- Cymbal technique
- practice which cymbal to hit, when, how hard, and more.
- Drum Machine
Practice - Some of the greatest drummers of our time (like Dennis
Chambers) attribute much of their drumset progress to practicing with
- Drum Clinics
- Attending drum clinics is an indirect form of practicing.There is
amazing amount of drumming information you can learn from other drummers
at drum clinics.
about Drums and Drum Lessons
list goes on and on. You should never justifiably be able to say,
"I don't know what to practice" on the drums. - Work hard